Radhakrishnan J wrote:

Servlet Engine, Webapp are all higher level notions. The JVMTI is "JVM"
level feature. The out of the box debuggers are not "servlet-engine aware"
or "webapplication-aware". The place to look for would be local variables
within tomcat code. But again the assumption is that the tomcat classes have
debug information available.

Exactly.

Of course, there's no law that states that high-level debuggers should or should not do this. Plenty of examples of them doing this (e.g. netbeans and other debuggers can show Collection contents in popups in the debugger, and that needs knowledge of the internals of various standard collection types).

So yes, you'd have to fix Eclipse to understand Tomcat internals, and distribute a version of tomcat compiled with debug information, and use that to probe inside WebappClassLoader to see which webapp the class was loaded on behalf of.

I think we've beaten this horse to death. Sounds like an enhancement request for Eclipse..