Try the binary distribution instead of the source bundle:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-4/archive/v4.0.5/bin/

Either jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5.zip or jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5.exe should be fine.

CATALINA_HOME will probably then be:
C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5

HTH,

Jon

Aaron Bortman wrote:
Hello,

In my job I recently have been assigned to work with Cocoon. In order to be able to use cocoon I need to be able to deploy it on a servlet engine. The book I am reading to learn Cocoon has chosen tomcat 4.0.5 as the servlet engine to use. I am having a problem getting tomcat to start. Any help that could be given would be much appreciated. So far I have:

1) Installed the java sdk 1.4.1_07 and set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to its location 2) Copied the jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src.zip to a file on my computer (running Windows XP professional)
3) Extracted the zip file
4) Brought up a command prompt and set the environment variable CATALINA_HOME like this:
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
5) Navigated to the CATALINA_HOME directory and run the startup script.
6) When I run the script I get the following echoed to the screen.
Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\tools\j2sdk1.4.1_07
7) I have been unable to get the welcome page to display when I point a browser at http://localhost:8080.

I have looked at the FAQ's and tried changing the port 8080 to something else, but that did not fix my problem. I also have checked and am not behind a proxy. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have been searching the help pages for Apache and other sites with little luck. If you could help me look in the right place I would be greatful.

Thanks for your time,

Aaron