This version has a known memory leak in the AJP/1.3 Connector.  The
work-around is to set:
  request.registerRequests=false
in your $CATALINA_HOME/conf/jk2.properties file.

"Carroll, Simon, CND" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi,

I have the following problem and I was wondering if anyone else had a
similar issue which they managed to resolve.

I have a web application which is installed on 2 tomcat instances (version
4.1.30 using jdk 1.4.2_05), each on separate boxes.  I have 2 apache
(version 2) instances, also on separate boxes, which are configured to pass
requests to the tomcat instances via the mod_jk plugin.  The configuration
works as expected and the requests from apache are equally balanced between
the two tomcat instances.

The issue I have is that the web application installed on tomcat seems to
have a memory leak and if it is left to run for a prolonged period the
tomcat processes begin to hog the CPU.  To counter this I have set up a cron
job which restarts the tomcat instances every morning, the restarts are
staggered so that the first instance is restarted at 07:00 and the second at
07:20.  However after the restarts I can see from the apache logs that a
number of HTTP requests are taking 190 seconds to process.  From the logging
I have determined that the hold up occurs when the request is passed to
tomcat.  I see this issue for approximately 3 hours and then it clears
itself up until the following day when we restart the tomcat instances
again.

Does anyone know why this is occuring?
Should I be restarting the apache instances after I have restarted the
tomcat instances?
Is there anyway I can clear down the CPU usage without restarting tomcat?

If anyone can help me with this issue I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Simon