Since I am a new user of mod_jk, please correct me if I am wrong.

In your apache httpd.conf, you set:
     "JkWorkersFile "/var/tomcat/conf/workers.properties"
I remember workers.properties is  located in apache/conf/, the same
directory with httpd.conf..

And, do you indicate the location of tomcat in workers.properties, such as
workers.tomcat_home=/.../tomcat/?

-b