I did not include a security constraint.
Is this needed for SSL? I spend some time looking at this element, and I was under the impression that it was for form authentication?
You don't really need it for SSL testing, but you'd want to do it in your production world because it basically instructs Tomcat to FORCE SSL to be used when going to a given URL-pattern (that portion of your web app that requires https). That is, if the user accesses your site with http://xxxx, the port 80 Connector (or 8080 if testing or using a non-standard port) has a "redirectPort" element that causes Tomcat to automatically issue a redirect using https://xxxx (in production, this is typically set to redirectPort="443" for standard HTTPS).

But if you just say https://xxxx or https://xxxx:8443, then it should let you test before the constraint is used.

David