George Sexton wrote:

I'm trying to sort out a way I can automate deploying new virtual hosts on
my Tomcat server. Right now I'm running about 70 virtual hosts. Each virtual
host has only one ROOT context. I'm planning on scaling up to at least 200
virtual hosts before I need to get a second machine. The second machine will
probably be more powerful, and I'll want to scale it into the region of
something like 1000 virtual hosts. I've looked through the documentation on
the Tomcat site and don't think I'm seeing what I need.

Ideally I would like something that would be scriptable that would let me
automatically deploy the virtual hosts. If I can't get that, some
application that would let me create a new virtual host without stopping and
re-starting tomcat would be nice. I'm thinking in the near future I will
need to deploy several new virtual hosts per day. If I can't do it
automatically, I'd at least like one tool that works that could be used to
create a virtual host correctly.
Have you tried embeded tomcat? It's very easy to set up, and add new hosts, contexts, etc. on the fly. So it would be possible with very little effort to create small app to create/delete any host inside such tomcat.

Sample code:

embedded = new Embedded();
embedded.setCatalinaHome(catalinaHome.getAbsolutePath());
Engine engine = embedded.createEngine();
engine.setDefaultHost("localhost");
Host host = embedded.createHost("localhost", appBase.getAbsolutePath());
engine.addChild(host);
Context ctx = embedded.createContext("/ctx, docBase.getAbsolutePath());
host.addChild(ctx);
embedded.addEngine(engine);
Connector connector = embedded.createConnector((InetAddress) null, 8080, false);
embedded.addConnector(connector);
embedded.start();

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>