Hi Martin.
Thanks for interest!.

I have tomcat 5.5.7 not running as service (I have it at work and now
I'm at home) and I don't have /logs/stderr.log (??).
Stdout is my MS-DOS windows and I don't think that's important.
I have a preprocessor that just checks if
request.getSession(false)==null or isnew() to redirect to the
expired-session page. So I don't get anything strange as everything go
as session was expired.
On linux (tomcat 5.5.12) I have  in logs folder the following:
catalina.out (I think it is stdout.log) localhost.<date>.log,
hostmanager.<date>.log
I think you need localhost.<date>.log. I don't see stderr.log
I can produce error on linux just tomorrow at work 'cause I have DB on
windows partition.
On tomcat on windows I don't know why I don't have stderr.log
My Tomcat-home/logs is empty. What have I to set to have it?
What should I look for in stderr.log??

Thanks a lot!
     Alessandro