Roger,

A thread dump/stack trace of all the threads in the Tomcat JVM is one way to
see whats happening. It will show what is happening in detail - and may even
highlight some problems. It does take a bit of study to understand what you
are seeing. Here is an article I use that covers both Windows and *nix:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/Stacktrace/index
.html

HTH - Richard