Thanks Mark.

  Besides that, I used wrong property. Right statement should be:

  &useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=charset

  Now server.xml is ok but I'm still getting strange characters when retrieving
text from database.

  I  changed characterEncoding property to several different values, but result
is same all the time.

  It looks like driver (I use Connector/J 3.1.8) doesn't see the change.

  Any ideas?

  tvrdi