BINGO!!!!!

freemarker.jar does not belong in the system classloader. It belongs in WEB-INF/lib.

[ Quick rule of thumb - putting a lib in java/lib/ext will cause problems 99% of the time. ]

-Tim

John Poley wrote:
And as for me, since we seem to be having similar issues, I cut out eclipse
all together, worried that somehow it was cause some kind of issue.   I have
a .war file that was was exported by a colleague who is running the same
.war within tomcat and having no trouble at all with it.  I copy that .war
file into the webapps directory of a freshly installed tomcat where I have
changed no settings.  I start tomcat, and then open a browser to either the
simple HelloServlet file he included in the .war as a test or the actual
servlet we are preparing-  in both cases I get this same
NoClassDefFoundError.   I do not have j2ee on this system, and I have run a
complete search for servlet.jar and j2ee.jar files in the hard drive and
found none other than servlet-api.jar that lies within tomcat/common/lib.
I am using a newly installed J2SE, JDK 5.0 Update 6, with no other java
libraries installed.  The only files I have added to java/lib/ext are
freemarker.jar and and a mysql-connector jar.
Am I missing something somewhere?