I am guesing it was a fix for spec compliance:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/jsp/PageContext.html#setAttribute(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.Object,%20int)

-Tim

David Gagnon wrote:

Hi all,

I just installed a fresh tomcat 4.1.31 and run into this problem. From 4.1.30 to 4.1.31 the PageContexImpl.setAttribute has change in a way that make it unusable. I cannot set null attribute in the pageContext ?!?!?!

So the following call throw an exception in 4.1.31:
pageContext.setAttribute(LOOKUP_GROUP_DATA_KEY + enclosingGroup.getGroup(), null, PageContext.REQUEST_SCOPE);

Is that mean I need to check if an attribute is null before putting it into the pageContext.... It desn`t make sense to me?

This change make 4.1.31 totally unusable for me... Any idea on what I can do? Or where I'm wrong?

Thanks for your help!

/David