If I were you, I'd use Tomcat 5.5. No, I don't know if your i18n problem is related to version, but using the latest version could avoid other not so obvious problems.

As mentioned by other, your encType is wrongly used. It's for MIME-TYPE. And you don't need to specify acceptCharset is you're using one encoding for the whole page. OTOH, not all browsers support these attributes.

Your problem probably comes from j_security_check. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if it is "i18n-aware", or at least "utf8-aware". You have to know that data are encoded in UTF-8 during the submission to server. If the server (strictly speaking, the programme specified by the "action" attribute) thinks it's ISO-8859-1, your data are screwed.

So, check the doc on j_security_check to see how to make it read data as UTF-8.

   HTH

Manish Dalakoti wrote:

Hi,

I'm using form-based authentication.
Although i'm able to create multilingual user names and passwords, tomcat is not able to authenticate using the same. I'm not able to make out if this is a problem related to j_security_check or what, because the username and password which my Authenticator receives from
j_security_check is all garbage.

*At JSP level, in my login.jsp page i'm using  :*
*"*
/<%@ page errorPage="/jspError.jsp" pageEncoding="UTF-8" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
.
.
.
<form name="login" method="post" action="j_security_check" acceptCharset="UTF-8" encType="UTF-8" onKeyPress="return submitOnEnter(event, login)">
.
./
* "*, *to make sure UTF-8 support is there, but to no avail. Otherwise, the rest of my application is fully internationalized and localized too in few languages.*

Thanx,
Manish