Teh,

The web.xml looks fine to me. Can you confirm that you war file is packaged correctly i.e
its created with proper packages structure and dir/file names.

Also, I was wondering why are you being asked to (explicitly) create a <context> element in server.xml. Is it a TC v4.x requirement ? I have used TC 3,4 and 5 but never was I required to explicitly create a context entry in server.xml for any webapp.

I used more of a traditional way of dropping a war file into webapps/ and re-starting the container and it has been working
fine for me so far.

Experts, any thoughts on this one ?

Teh, if you are sure that the deployed WAR is sane then we should wait for experts to provide an answer.

-Prasad.

Teh Noranis Mohd Aris wrote:

The web.xml looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
   PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN"
   "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>

 <servlet>
   <servlet-name>MyFirstServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.MyFirstServlet</servlet-class>
 </servlet>

 <servlet-mapping>
   <servlet-name>MyFirstServlet</servlet-name>
   <url-pattern>
     /MyFirstServlet
   </url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

I placed the web.xml in
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31\webapps\ch03\WEB-INF
directory.

How about the server.xml file in
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31\conf directory? The original
file looks like this:

.
.
.
<!-- Tomcat Examples Context -->
       <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples"
debug="0"
                reloadable="true"
crossContext="true">
         <Logger
className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
                    prefix="localhost_examples_log."
suffix=".txt"
          timestamp="true"/>
         <Ejb   name="ejb/EmplRecord" type="Entity"
home="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecordHome" remote="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecord"/>
.
.
.

Should I replace <Context path="/examples" to <Context
path="ch03" and docBase="examples" to
docBase="myfirstwebapp" (the war file for
myfirstwebapp in the
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31\webapps\ch03 directory)?
Thanks.

TEH
--- Prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can you post your web.xml. I think I can help you
with this but only after looking at your web.xml.
I think the problem is with <servlet> and
<servlet-mapping> in your web.xml. Moreover as David said, you can find all the information in the Docs.
-Prasad.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]