> From: Stephen Caine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> Thank you for your thoughts.  I am using a Quad 4 Mac OS X with a
> 1.4.2 JVM.  Any recommendations for testing tools so I can monitor
> memory allocations, garbage collection and the like?

For starters, I'd try -verbose:gc and perhaps -verbose:class to give you
a general idea of what's happening when.  There are many flavors of
profilers out there, a lot of them free.  (Our customers tend to go for
the premium stuff like Wily Introscope, which definitely isn't free, but
has lots of bells and whistles - and support.)

I'd also suggest searching the mailing list archives, since this problem
with running out of PermGen space comes up fairly often.  There have
been some techniques and tips posted to help reduce the impact.  My
archive preference is here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&r=1&w=2

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.