I'm developing an application that will monitor a port on Tomcat 5.5.x and
receive udp datagrams.  I've got the class coded, but not sure if I've done
it correctly.  I created a class with a main() method that runs the code to
read from whatever port I specify.  Do I need to configure Tomcat to open
this port or listen on the port?  Should I inherit my server class from
thread, so it can be multithreaded?  How do I know my application is
running?  I usually just develop classes/applications that are initiated by
JSP pages.

Thanks,