Marco,
I used Fedora Core 4 briefly.  I am certain that there's an easier way to go
about this but  here's what I went through in order to use jsvc on FC 4.
1)To get a more recent JDK, since I couldn't install using Sun's RPM for the
reasons you listed, I downloaded a binary (tar.gz) and went about the business
of deleting and recreating all of Fedora's symlinks (etc/alternatives) to point
to the new JDK.  This took some time but everything java used the new JVM.
2)Next, I inspected the Fedora installation of Tomcat and made a paper list of
the directory structure and then downloaded a newer version of Tomcat (5.5.9 at
the time).
3)Uninstalled the current Tomcat with yum.
4)Decompressed the new Tomcat binaries and moved files according to the Fedora
layout.
5)Following the instructions at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html I compiled jsvc
6)Using /etc/skeleton and the example script in
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc-src/native as guides, wrote a new tomcat5 script to be
placed in /etc/init.d to start tomcat as a daemon using jsvc.
7)Added symlinks to the new  /etc/init.d/tomcat5 to /etc/init.d/rc3.d and
/etc/int.d/rc5.d
I wish I had saved a copy of my script.  Also, you may want to increase the
amount of memory available by adding a line like "-Xms 64M -Xmx128M \" (without
the quotes) immediately after the $CATALINA_OPTS \ line in the script (just
make sure that it appears before the -cp $CLASSPATH \ entry.