I am playing around with a Hibernate project, and created a war file. I have a
clean 5.5 Tomcat running on XP. The project I created is not using log4j. It
has a bunch of System.out.println statements, and the tutorial says to look at
the Tomcat log to see how this hibernate project connects, etc.

By default my new Tomcat has a logs directory, but inside it there are stderr,
stdout, tomcat.log and jakarta_service logs. I would assume that the system out
should go to stdout.log, but there are no logs there.

How is a new Tomcat configured, where would default System.out.printlns go?