Florian Lindner wrote:

Hello,
I'm searching for the best concept of how to use and save hierarchical data.
I have a structure like PC file system with meta data. There a folder objects and files objects of different types. Every object have data like permissions, date and author. And they have type-specific data fields like resolution (of an image type) or location (of an meeting type) or ingredients (of an recipe type). What is the best way to store that kind of data? What database is recommendable? What concepts of persistance? Or not using managed persistance and do it manually?

Thanks for all ideas!

Florian

There is also JSR-170 which defines an API for storing data hierarchically. The Jackrabbit project is one implementation of it and currently used in the Magnolia CMS.

JSR-170 spec: http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170
Jackrabbit project: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/jackrabbit.html
Magnolia CMS: http://www.magnolia.info

--David