> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: tomcat and javac (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> However, my  webapp does not work on Tomcat 5.5.12
> when I put my servlet classes in  common\classes.

You shouldn't do that.  Read the servlet spec, and put the servlet
classes where they belong:

webapps/<app_name>/WEB-INF/classes

> In the last version of Tomcat 3.0X that I used, the class
> files would go into webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes.

ROOT is for the default application.

> My servlet class files would contain the path to the
> properties files in ROOT\WEB-INF.

Unnecessary, non-portable, and unreliable, as you have now discovered.
You should be using something like this:

Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResource()

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.