I am trying to install a new version of my application war

I tried various ways, using the HTML manager, including removing the
application and then installing by uploading a new war file, but all of them
seemed to screw up one way or the other.

The option I mention above (complete re-install) seemed to have a problem with
re-initiallising my connection to the database (which is using the built in
Tomcat pooling).

In the end I had to shutdown and restart the server.

Is there a recommended step by step approach to doing this safely?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk