There is a bugzilla report similar to this - but also check 5.1.15 since it has some fixes too.

-Tim

Patricio Keilty wrote:

Hi guys,
i recently tried to migrate my webapps from version 5.5.4 to a brand new 5.5.12
installation, so i just copied original $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml & all
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps to ver 5.5.12 corresponding folders. When i entered the
manager webapp, i started seeing "broken" html, kind of source code view in my
browser window, and also some Response HTTP Header data appended. I first blame
on my FireFox browser, but Mozilla and IE will also show not well formed html,
this made me think tomcat was responding with "malformed" HTTP.
Comparing my old server.xml fine with the one in v5.5.4 binaries, i could see a
difference in <Connector/> attributes: maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" was not set in
my old config. After adding this attribute value to every Connector boila!, my
browser started showing usual apps list html screen. I cannot conclude this is a
problem with Tomcat Connectors, since i´m no Tomcat expert, just wanted to alert
the list just in case.

Apologises for not providing more detailed info right now, i´m in a hurry....but
i can provide some in case it is needed.

This is my Server Information

Tomcat Version  JVM Version     JVM Vendor      OS Name         OS Version
OS Architecture
Apache Tomcat/5.5.12    1.5.0_04-b05    Sun Microsystems Inc.   Windows 2003
5.2     x86