I've generally found that I only need one Host element in the server.xml file. The Magic is in the Catalina/<hostname>/ROOT.xml file. Here's whats in my tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/ directory:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Context docBase="/Users/kurt/sandboxes/myapp/webapp" path="" reloadable="true">
        <Parameter name="serv1" value="custom1" override="true"/>
</Context>

(you don't need that <Parameter> line- thats a custom parameter for my application)

so if you put a directory in Catalina like:

Catalina/www.myhost.com/ROOT.xml

...and made that ROOT.xml look like:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Context docBase="/Users/kurt/sandboxes/myapp/webapp" path="" reloadable="true"/>

...it would most likely work. I've also put <Alias> directives into the Host section of my server.xml like this:

<Host name="localhost" appbase="/Users/kurt/sandboxes/myapp/webapp">
   <Alias>www.blah.com</Alias>
</Host>

...requests to www.blah.com will also get sent to that localhost context. I'm not sure if this is the 'proper' way to do it, but it seems to work just fine. I'm also using 5.0.27. Hope this helped!

/kurt

Morten Andersen wrote:
How do I set up tomcat to run several webapps each serving requests for
their respective domains?

I've figured that I can create a <Host> element in the server.xml, but
the Tomcat documentation doesn't really help me much more. It mentions
the option to add files in the conf/[Engine]/[Appname] folder, but what
should the file name be and how should it be structured?

Please provide a few explained examples.

Morten

Tomcat version: 5.0.28

PS: More examples in documentation please. It's easier to write and
understand.