Darren,

if I look at your original configuration

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>SimpleServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/simple-servlet</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
---snip---
<Context path="/simple-servlet" docBase="SimpleServlet" reloadable="true"
debug="99">

then, if I am not overlooking something,
the correct URL to invoke the servlet is

http://localhost/simple-servlet/simple-servlet

because the first "simple-servlet" is the
Context path where the webapp resides, and
the second "simple-servlet" is the URL for
the servlet inside the webapp, like correctly
configured in the webapp descriptor.

Georg