Hi,

  Since you are using OpenSSL, I am assuming you also want to use  APR (Apache
Portable Runtime).
It is great for tomcat. I am using it right now.

  I have posted message about how to do it. You can view it at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40tomcat.apache.org/msg02500.html

  The only difference is I am using self-signed certificate. I know people has
trouble with
Verisign when following those steps. I dont know about your case but it is
definate worth trying.

  You can follow the steps and try things with self-signed certificate and see
if things work.
Then you can follow the same steps with actual signed certificate. Trust me
those steps works.

  Let me know about your status and we will solve things together.

Regards,