From: Aparna Ramakrishnan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 30 January 2006 15:15
To: tomcat list
Subject: OutOfMemoryError - how to increase heap size

Hello,
I use a Asterisk-JAVA API program which on a random basis, calls a
Servlet, using Tomcat5, in order to set forwarding of calls through an
Asterisk PBX Server. Two threads run throughout the program, where one
is an endless thread. I use JDBC onnection with MySql.

An hour after the program has been run, it gives an OutOfMemoryError -
and hence the servlet is not called and hence CallForwarding is not set.
But again randomly, it works but at other times sends an
OutOfMemoryError.

  On the start of the program, I check the

Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() --> arnd 1.9 MB
Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory() --> arnd 64 MB
Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() --> arnd 1.4MB

After the totalMemory reaches 64 MB, and freeMemory is less than 34556
bytes, the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is thrown.
Since I am completely new to both JAVA and tomcat, I would like to know
how I need to proceed. I believe I must increase the maxMemory -- but
how and where?

  I start Tomcat5 using /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start .
I run the JAVA program using Netbeans IDE 4.1 and not via command line.
  I read somewhere that the option -Xms128m -Xmx256m should be set for
JAVA_OPTS environment variable in the startup script used to starting
tomcat. But I dont seem to understand where I can add this value in
/etc/init.d/tomcat5 file.

Kindly guide me further. Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Aparna

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the
sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The British
Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the author.