Are you using Solaris?  Is it possible that your MTU at the OS level
wasn't set to a large number?

ND

-----Original Message-----
From: James Rome [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 9:30 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: socket read errors

My servlet that verifies presented client certificates is getting socket
read timeout errors:

INFO: : **************** i/o exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException:
Read timed out Feb 2, 2006 7:24:14 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke WARNING:
Servlet.service() for servlet PolicyEngineServlet threw exception
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out     at
java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)     at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)     at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.readFully(InputRecord.java:284)
    at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(InputRecord.java:319)
at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java
:720)
    at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readDataRecord(SSLSocketImpl.
java:677)
    at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:75)
,
Note the 133 errors below.

The status is (note the 133 errors):

Free memory: 77.98 MB Total memory: 254.12 MB Max memory: 1524.18 MB

Max threads: 300 Min spare threads: 25 Max spare threads: 75 Current
thread count: 25 Current thread busy: 3
Max processing time: 60035 ms Processing time: 8260 s Request count:
21298 Error count: 133 Bytes received: 33.67 MB Bytes sent: 46.44 MB

I s there some way to overcome this? Googleing turns up lots of pages
saying that you should use non-blocking i/o, but Tomcat only presents me
with input and output Streams, and I do not think I can access the
socket directly. My server does not seem to be overloaded, and I am
communicating over a 1 Gbps LAN, so I do not understand why I am getting
these errors.

Thanks for any help,
Jim Rome