Hi,

I'm not sure what your problem with the manager is, but about the
tomcat-user.xml
this is what I'm using on my localhost installation and it works.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
  <user username="yourUserName" password="yourPassword"
roles="tomcat,manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

Note, it is the 'admin' rolename that allow the admin page to work.
About the documentation, if you haven't not found it yet, I strongly advise
you using this forum archives at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&r=1&w=2
I too found the documentation not very newbies friendly, but it is not that
hard a while. However, I also this book that for me is good
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590593316/104-8066643-6219911?v=glance&n=283155