Sanity check please... (I seem to be saying that a lot -- hmm)

I cannot get tomcat 5.5.15 to use:

$CATALINA_HOME/webapp/Monitor/META-INF/context.xml

If I take that same (unchanged) file, move and rename it to:

$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/Monitor.xml

It works fine.

Here are the contents of context.xml:

<!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application
-->
<Context debug="1" reloadable="false" crossContext="true">

    <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
           securePagesWithPragma="false" />

    <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.NonLoginAuthenticator"
           securePagesWithPragma="false" />

    <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator"
           securePagesWithPragma="false" />

</Context>

I think I'm doing things correctly... why doesn't the file
META-INF/context.xml work?

Regards,

Dennis Klotz