Hallo Hannes!

Hannes Hein wrote:

Yes. javac runs correctly.

jsvc is a C program so you don't need a java compiler for building it.

The problem 'configure: error: installation or configuration problem: javac cannot compile' is solved now as java runs correctly, but it still doesn't compile the sources and I have absolutely no idea why (see attached file for make output).

[...]

callisto:/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/jsvc-src# make
make -C native all
make[1]: Entering directory `/srv/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/bin/jsvc-src/native'
gcc -g -O2 -DOS_LINUX -DDSO_DLFCN -DCPU=\"i386\"
-I/usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include -I/usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_06/include/linux -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -c jsvc-unix.c -o jsvc-unix.o
In Datei, eingefügt von jsvc.h:20,
                    von jsvc-unix.c:17:
/usr/include/stdio.h:34:21: stddef.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[...]

For those who don't speak German: "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden" translates to "File or directory not found". My guess is that something is wrong with your C development tools. Perhaps the configure-script could not find your headers as there are no entries in the gcc output containing something like -I/usr/include. Are you sure you have your libraries set up properly?

Check whether your compiler works by compiling following program:
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){printf("works\n");}
Command line: cc -o c-test c-test.c

Try to clean your source tree and rerun ./configure.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang