Hi,

Do you really need sudo here?  Perhaps that's creating some issues.
doesn't seem so. I get exactly the same error in my home directory.

What happens if you try to compile a simple "Hello World" program,
without anything specified for -cp?  (Try it with and without sudo to
see if that makes a difference.)
No, simple "javac Hello.java" doesn't work. Only if I set $CLASSPATH to "/usr/lib/jdk/jre/lib/rt.jar" or with the -cp-option.

What environment variables do you have set?
Do you mean $CLASSPATH? For the Hello World program no one.

Greetings,
Sebastian