Hi,

no, you must delete whole the original contents of the existing
directory webapps/ROOT and deploy your own ROOT.war web application.
Be careful. The `ROOT' word is case sensitive.

The default URL mapping is:

http://[machine]:[port]/[context]/[servlet]/

where
machine is currently localhost, port is 8080 by default

context is in the context.xml file and usualy is the same as the web
application name
servlet: it's defined in web.xml servlet-mapping tag

If you deploy your application as ROOT application, the context path
will be only `/' (slash).

Chuck explains it to me (thank you Chuck!) one month before. Look into
the mailing-list history.

Hope to help you

Have a nice day!

PETR