I see that you have your resource defined under the
context for your jsp.  I know you're suppose to be
able to do this, but I haven't had much luck with it
personally.

Try this just for kicks:

1.  Move the TestDB resource to the
<GlobalNamingResources> section of server.xml
2.  If there is a "context".xml file under
conf\Catalina\localhost, then modify it to include a
pointer to your resource like so:

<ResourceLink name="jdbc/TestDB"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
   global="jdbc/TestDB"/>

if no context file exists, create one (if you're in
root, there should be a root.xml file there already).

3.  Leave the web.xml file as you have it already.

As I said, you're not suppose to have to do this, but
I had the same problem that you're having now before I
made this change.

Have you verified that the db connection works at all
with the url that you're using?

-marc

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

> The only thing I haven't done is the .war file thing
> at the end, just created the .jsp file straight in
> the ROOT directory to test it.
>
> Any thoughts why I get this error?
>
> Mark
>
> Attached below are my server.xml file and web.xml
> file
>
> Web.xml

> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
> "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
> 2.2//EN"
> "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd";>
>
> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";

> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
>     version="2.4">
>

> <!--
> Specifies the first page that users will come to in
> the system
> -->
>   <welcome-file-list>
>     <welcome-file>/index.jsp</welcome-file>
>   </welcome-file-list>
>
> <!--
> Specifies the error page that will occur for 404
> errors
> -->
>
>   <error-page>
>     <error-code>404</error-code>
>     <location>/error.jsp</location>
>   </error-page>
>
> <!--
> Database connection test
> -->
>
>   <resource-ref>
>       <description>DB Connection</description>
>       <res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
>       <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
>       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
>   </resource-ref>
>

> <!--
> Specifies the security area within the system
> -->
>
>     <security-constraint>
>         <web-resource-collection>
>             <web-resource-name>Secure
> Area</web-resource-name>
>             <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>
>             <http-method>GET</http-method>
>             <http-method>POST</http-method>
>         </web-resource-collection>
>         <user-data-constraint>

>         </user-data-constraint>
>     </security-constraint>
>

> </web-app>
>
> Server.xml
>
> <!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
> <!-- Note that component elements are nested
> corresponding to their
>      parent-child relationships with each other -->
>
> <!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that
> represents the entire JVM,
>      which may contain one or more "Service"
> instances.  The Server
>      listens for a shutdown command on the indicated
> port.
>
>      Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container",
> so you may not
>      define subcomponents such as "Valves" or
> "Loggers" at this level.
>  -->
>
> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
>
>   <!-- Comment these entries out to disable JMX
> [...]
className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
> />
>   <Listener

className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
> />
>   <Listener

className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
> />
>   <Listener

className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>

> [...]
>                connectionTimeout="20000"
> disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>     <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set
> connectionTimeout value
>      to 0 -->
>
>  <!-- Note : To use gzip compression you could set
> the following properties :
>
>       compression="on"
>       compressionMinSize="2048"
>       noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
>       compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"
>  -->
>
>     <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port
> 8443 -->
>
>       <Connector port="8443" scheme="https"
> secure="true" minSpareThreads="25"
> connectionTimeout="60000"   clientAuth="false"
> keystorePass="?MtHw7!" connectionLinger="-1"
> serverSoTimeout="0"
> keystoreFile="D:\FYPCode\keystore"
> maxSpareThreads="75" maxThreads="150"
> tcpNoDelay="true"   maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
> sslProtocol="TLS" />
>

>     <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009
> -->
>     <Connector port="8009"
>                enableLookups="false"
> redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />
>
>     <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port
> 8082 -->
>     <!-- See proxy documentation for more
> information about using this. -->
>     <!--
>     <Connector port="8082"
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75"
>                enableLookups="false"
> acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
>                proxyPort="80"
> disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>     -->
>
>     <!-- An Engine represents the entry point
> (within Catalina) that processes
>          every request.  The Engine implementation
> for Tomcat stand alone
>          analyzes the HTTP headers included with the
> request, and passes them
>          on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
> -->
>
>     <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support
> load-balancing via AJP ie :
>     <Engine name="Standalone"
> defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
>     -->
>
>     <!-- Define the top level container in our
> container hierarchy -->
>     <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
>
>       <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful
> debugging information about
>            the request headers and cookies that were
> received, and the response
>            headers and cookies that were sent, for
> all requests received by
>            this instance of Tomcat.  If you care
> only about requests to a
>            particular virtual host, or a particular
> application, nest this
>            element inside the corresponding <Host>
> or <Context> entry instead.
>
>            For a similar mechanism that is portable
> to all Servlet 2.4
>            containers, check out the
> "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
>            example application (the source for this

"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").

>            Request dumping is disabled by default.
> Uncomment the following
>            element to enable it. -->
>       <!--
>       <Valve

className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
>       -->
>
>       <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance
> will be shared globally -->
>
>       <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase
> configured in the global JNDI
>            resources under the key "UserDatabase".
> Any edits
>            that are performed against this
> UserDatabase are immediately
>            available for use by the Realm.  -->
>       <Realm

className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
> [...]
> synchronous way. Ie, the data gets replicated, then
> the request return. This is the same as the
> 'synchronous' setting except it uses a pool of
> sockets, hence it is multithreaded. This is the
> fastest and safest configuration. To use this, also
> increase the nr of tcp threads that you have dealing
> with replication.
>                                * Synchronous means
> that the thread that executes the request, is also
> the
>                                thread the replicates
> the data to the other nodes, and will not return
> until all
>                                nodes have received
> the information.
>                                * Asynchronous means
> that there is a specific 'sender' thread for each
> cluster node,
>                                so the request thread
> will queue the replication request into a "smart"
> queue,
>                                and then return to
> the client.
>                                The "smart" queue is
> a queue where when a session is added to the queue,
> and the same session
>                                already exists in the
> queue from a previous request, that session will be
> replaced
>                                in the queue instead
> of replicating two requests. This almost never
> happens, unless there is a
>                                large network delay.
>         -->
>         <!--
>             When configuring for clustering, you
> also add in a valve to catch all the requests
>             coming in, at the end of the request,
> the session may or may not be replicated.
>             A session is replicated if and only if
> all the conditions are met:
>             1. useDirtyFlag is true or setAttribute
> or removeAttribute has been called AND
>             2. a session exists (has been created)
>             3. the request is not trapped by the
> "filter" attribute
>
>             The filter attribute is to filter out
> requests that could not modify the session,
>             hence we don't replicate the session
> after the end of this request.
>             The filter is negative, ie, anything you
> put in the filter, you mean to filter out,
>             ie, no replication will be done on
> requests that match one of the filters.
>             The filter attribute is delimited by ;,
> so you can't escape out ; even if you wanted to.
>
>             filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;" means that we
> will not replicate the session after requests with
> the URI
>             ending with .gif and .js are
> intercepted.
>
>             The deployer element can be used to
> deploy apps cluster wide.
>             Currently the deployment only
> deploys/undeploys to working members in the cluster
>             so no WARs are copied upons startup of a
> broken node.
>             The deployer watches a directory
> (watchDir) for WAR files when watchEnabled="true"
>             When a new war file is added the war
> gets deployed to the local instance,
>             and then deployed to the other instances

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
>                  expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
>                  useDirtyFlag="true"
>
> notifyListenersOnReplication="true">
>
>             <Membership

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
>                 mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
>                 mcastPort="45564"
>                 mcastFrequency="500"
>                 mcastDropTime="3000"/>
>
>             <Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
>                 tcpListenAddress="auto"
>                 tcpListenPort="4001"
>                 tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
>                 tcpThreadCount="6"/>
>
>             <Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
>                 replicationMode="pooled"
>                 ackTimeout="15000"/>
>
>             <Valve

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;"/>

>             <Deployer

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
>                       tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"
>                       deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"
>                       watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"
>                       watchEnabled="false"/>
>         </Cluster>
>         -->
>

>         <!-- Normally, users must authenticate
> themselves to each web app
>              individually.  Uncomment the following
> entry if you would like
>              a user to be authenticated the first
> time they encounter a
>              resource protected by a security
> constraint, and then have that
>              user identity maintained across *all*
> web applications contained
>              in this virtual host. -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve

className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
> />
>         -->
>
>         <!-- Access log processes all requests for
> this virtual host.  By
>              default, log files are created in the
> "logs" directory relative to
>              $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
> specify a different
>              directory with the "directory"
> attribute.  Specify either a relative
>              (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to
> the desired directory.
>         -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve

className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>                  directory="logs"
> prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>                  pattern="common"
> resolveHosts="false"/>
>         -->
>
>         <!-- Access log processes all requests for
> this virtual host.  By
>              default, log files are created in the
> "logs" directory relative to
>              $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
> specify a different
>              directory with the "directory"
> attribute.  Specify either a relative
>              (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to
> the desired directory.
>              This access log implementation is
> optimized for maximum performance,
>              but is hardcoded to support only the
> "common" and "combined" patterns.
>         -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve

className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
>                  directory="logs"
> prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>                  pattern="common"
> resolveHosts="false"/>
>         -->
>
> <Context path="/DBTest" docBase="DBTest"
>         debug="5" reloadable="true"
> crossContext="true">
>
>     <!-- maxActive: Maximum number of dB connections
> in pool. Make sure you
>          configure your mysqld max_connections large
> enough to handle
>          all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no
> limit.
>          -->
>
>     <!-- maxIdle: Maximum number of idle dB
> connections to retain in pool.
>          Set to -1 for no limit.  See also the DBCP
> documentation on this
>          and the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis
> configuration parameter.
>          -->
>
>     <!-- maxWait: Maximum time to wait for a dB
> connection to become available
>          in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An
> Exception is thrown if
>          this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to
> wait indefinitely.
>          -->
>
>     <!-- username and password: MySQL dB username
> and password for dB connections  -->
>
>     <!-- driverClassName: Class name for the old
> mm.mysql JDBC driver is
>          org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver - we recommend
> using Connector/J though.
>          Class name for the official MySQL
> Connector/J driver is com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.
>          -->
>
>     <!-- url: The JDBC connection url for connecting
> to your MySQL dB.
>          The autoReconnect=true argument to the url
> makes sure that the
>          mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically
> reconnect if mysqld closed the
>          connection.  mysqld by default closes idle
> connections after 8 hours.
>          -->
>
>   <Resource name="jdbc/TestDB" auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>                maxActive="100" maxIdle="30"
> maxWait="10000"
>                username="javauser" password="pilks2"
> driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/fyptest?autoReconnect=true"/>

> </Context>
>

>       </Host>
>
>     </Engine>
>
>   </Service>
>
> </Server>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/fyptest?autoReconnect=true</value>