Vanessa,

Thanks for the resource. However, as I've been told, in-process/JNI is/will be deprecated and isn't recommended with Tomcat 5.5 and Apache 2.x, and it appears that this particular configuration is trying to do that. Perhaps I've heard wrong. But I guess the confusion underscores the lack of documentation surrounding this area of Tomcat.

Brad

Vanessa Campos wrote:

Brad,

I found a good how-to that helped me put mod_jk to work.
www.howtoforge.com/apache2_tomcat5_mod_jk

It's very simple, and it works.

--- Brad O'Hearne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu:

I have been having trouble getting mod_jk to work. After having
Googled and read various information on configuring mod_jk (that's the first problem -- we need good documentation without having to Google), I settled on this link which is a pretty good HOWTO:

http://www.meritonlinesystems.com/docs/apache_tomcat_redhat.html

The problem is, once I got everything setup, things didn't work as expected. Before going into a long diatribe about all the potential

issues, what I checked, etc., I want to inquire about the notion of
this document's advice about your "webapp", as mentioned in http.conf and server.xml configuration, and as shown in step 5 of this HOWTO, in directory creation. The document instructs you to create the appropriate application directories as follows:

mkdir /home/tomcat/webapps
mkdir /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}
mkdir /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/logs
mkdir /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{YOUR_APPLICATION}
mkdir /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{YOUR_APPLICATION}/WEB-INF
mkdir

/home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{YOUR_APPLICATION}/WEB-INF/classes
In the httpd.conf, the virtualHost directive setup recommended is
as follows:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
        ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        ServerName {YOUR_DOMAIN}
        DocumentRoot /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{YOUR_APPLICATION}
        ErrorLog /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/logs/error_log
        CustomLog /home/tomcat/webapps/{YOUR_DOMAIN}/logs/access_log
common
        JkMount /*.jsp wrkr
        JkMount /servlet/* wrkr
        # Deny direct access to WEB-INF
        <LocationMatch ".*WEB-INF.*">
                AllowOverride None
                deny from all
        </LocationMatch>
</VirtualHost>

and in configuring the Tomcat context, the configuration
recommended is as follows:

<Context path=""
        docBase="{YOUR_APPLICATION}"
        reloadable="true"
        debug="0"/>

I don't get the {YOUR_APPLICATION} part of this. Basically, I have
a domain, and from it, I will be serving the contents of one or
more web applications. These web applications of course are WAR files. The directory
creation instructions look as if you would be creating the exploded
WAR structure manually, and the virtual
host configuration and context configuration appear to be
addressing a particular WAR. This doesn't make sense to me. All I
want to do is forward all requests with a particular
prefix to Tomcat, regardless of the web application, and based upon
the prefix, tomcat will determine which web application will
respond (just as if you were using Tomcat without
Apache httpd).
Can someone give me a heads up on how to configure this? Thanks!

Brad

Vanessa Campos
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ 35381281

"Efetivamente, para o homem, enquanto homem, nada tem valor a menos que ele possa
executa-lo com entusiasmo" Max Weber