Hello Boris,

thanks for your answer.

I could not see any error but one:
handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, 3app1.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, 4app2.org.apache.juli.FileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
as first line (aside from comments) of your logging.properties.

What is that line good for? How is it different to the ".handlers" line I've already got in my logging.properties?

When I insert your line, the following happens:

Some events are indeed logged to app1.xxx.log and app2.xxx.log. However, most events are logged to catalina.xxx.log.

Here is what goes to the correct log:

Feb 26, 2006 11:41:21 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Loading Spring root WebApplicationContext
Feb 26, 2006 11:42:02 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Loading WebApplicationContext for Spring FrameworkServlet 'front_controller'
Feb 26, 2006 11:44:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Feb 26, 2006 11:44:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing WebApplicationContext of Spring FrameworkServlet 'front_controller'

Here are some examples of what goes to the wrong log:

Feb 26, 2006 11:41:22 AM org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader loadBeanDefinitions INFO: Loading XML bean definitions from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/webContext.xml]

or

Feb 26, 2006 11:41:34 AM org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean afterPropertiesSet
INFO: Building new Hibernate SessionFactory

Could it be that all libraries I use go to the wrong log?

>> Do I need to have unique numbers as a prefix to app1 and app2? (could
>> I use 0app1 and 0app2?)

Do you have an answer for this question?

Regards,

Andreas