Mark Thomas wrote:
Paul Singleton wrote:
(I am required to anonymiee a Tomcat 5.5 server from hackers
trying to discover its version etc.)

If I put this in conf/web.xml

<error-page>
  <error-code>404</error-code>
  <location>/anon_error.jsp</location>
</error-page>

*and* put an anon_error.jsp in every web app, then I can
replace the built-in error page.

But where will Tomcat look for /anon_error.jsp when a
(page within a) nonexistent context is requested?

I haven't tested this...

I would expect an unknown context to be mapped to the ROOT context
given the mapping rules defined in section SRV.11.1

If the context isn't recognised, then the longest macthing context
path will be "/" which is the ROOT context.

Thanks for this: I think you're right, and I have now tested
this in 5.5.9 (which of course is not necessarily the version
I'm trying to anonymise :-) and it works.

cheers - Paul S.