#1 - I have a reasonable command of commons logging, log4j, juli, java
logging, etc., and I can quite easily make the application logging work
without a hitch.  As for 'production ready logging', I would look to valves
for things like access logging.  The access log valve works virtually the
same as Apache httpd, or at least the output is nearly so.  It didn't take
me all that long to learn this stuff.  I will admit I haven't used Tomcat
virtual hosts, so that might be an area of concern.

#2 - Do any commercial application server vendors offer you assistance on
how to find bugs in application code?  You're much more likely to find these
answers using google, or reading wikis or from community support.  There are
hundreds of such discussions out there.  My favorite (personally) is how to
avoid running out of permgen space.

#3 really boils down to "The application developer screwed up so badly that
the entire virtual machine under which Tomcat is running is toast."  That's
not Tomcat's fault, really, it's more Java's.  Again, any commercially
available server (written in Java/sharing the VM) will likely suffer the
same fate.

You can always feel free to contribute documentation improvements!

Tim