I has been quite a while since I have used Tomcat 3.3.x.
My recollection is that accessing the changed servlet would
trigger a reload of the webapp.  This differs from the newer
Tomcats which have a background thread checking for changes.
Also, with a default configuration, I don't recall anything
special that was needed beyond setting the context to be
reloadable.  I can't say why this isn't working for you.

As for the manager, Tomcat came with an admin webapp.  However,
it never got far enough along to be worthy of its own manual.
It's mentioned briefly in the User's Guide, but I think that is
about it.  If you want a "real" manager/admin webapp, you will
need to upgrade to a newer Tomcat.

Cheers,
Larry