"Res Pons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sorry to post across the userlists.
>
> I'm using Subversion, Ant, and Anthill OS to automate my projects.  We
> release many products in different projects.
>
> Currently I have set up a property sheet in Anthill for each project's
> build.xml and everything works fine.  However, many of the projects create
> a .jar file which is used or needed by other projects.  I tell my
> build.xml file in each project where to get the compiled jar files.
>
> With so many jar files being copied all over and our projects growing
> larger and larger daily, I was asked to create my own top parallel project
> and call all the build files from my master proj and make this project the
> exchange folder for all the jar files or any other artifact.  It's a
> cleaner way, of course and more contained but it entails more work on my
> part.
>
> I've got my master build file to work, running at the cmnd prompt,
> however, Anthill does not like it when you tell a build file to check out
> other top level project files from the repo.  Should I create dummy
> project files in Anthill just to check out the other projects and then let
> my build file take control?
>
> Somebody please give me guidance on the big picture.  Is this a good idea
> to have a master and separate build project aware of all the other
> projects and but the other projects not being aware of it? How do I bypass
> the Anthill's shortcoming? By switching to CruiseControl?  Are there or do
> you have any examples I could see please?

It's more of a CI system, but the Tomcat developers use Gump
(http://gump.apache.org) to keep tabs on how Tomcat is affected by changes
in other projects it depends on (e.g. commons-logging).  Since JUnit is
currently being plagued by a bad commit, it's probably not the best time to
advertise this, but the current 'official' Gump building URL (used by
Tomcat) for ASF projects is:
http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/index.html, which will at least give
you an idea of the info that Gump can provide.

Admittedly, the documentation is a bit sparse for setting up your own CI
system with Gump, but the mailing list is usually helpful, and relatively
low-traffic.