On Wednesday 08 March 2006 16:33, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 15:54, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > > From: David Goodenough [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: Odd problem with Tomcat 5.5.9 and PhantomReferences
> > >
> > > But when it comes to use the PhantomReference it gets:-
> > >
> > >         at
> > > org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappC
> > > lassLoader.java:1221)
> >
> > Seem to have lost a critical piece of information - which exception?
>
> Sorry, what I get is a ThreadDeath.  Which I take to mean that the class
> loader is throwing a fit.
>
> David
>
> >  - Chuck
It would appear that the problem is that the WebappClassLoader is not
started.  There are two functions (start and stop) which appear to
initialise things and tidy them up, and an internal variable which says
whether start has been called (and stop not).  This should throw a
state exception, but somehow this is becoming a ThreadDeath.

Now this loader works perfectly well if I do things in servlet methods,
but as soon as I try to use the loader in the background thread, or
rather as soon the system trys to use it under the covers to load
PhantomReference, it fails.

The upshot of this problem is that the Postgresql Jdbc3 driver is
unusable on a background thread in Tomcat 5.5.9.

David