On 3/15/06, Dhaval Patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Do you know of any hardware/software configuration to increase high
> availability?

One way is to load-balance Tomcat instances behind Apache using mod_jk
and sticky-sessions. You can also use a hardware load balancer as
well. There are a number of options here which will work.

> 2) Does clustering helps in this situation? If yes, any reference on how to
> implement
> that? (I dont mind reading esp. when it is new to me)

Clustering Tomcat (see the docs) will allow you to move users from a
failed Tomcat instance to another without losing the user's session
state.

> 3) Does Apache play any role in this improvement scenario?

See above.

> 4) He wants configuration like, if one server dies for any reason, second
> identical server
> should able to pick up requests and serve it. He does not mind adding
> hardware. How to
> do that?

See above.

> 5) Do you think load balancing may help? I mean server is pretty powerful and
> my friend
> does not mind improving hardware. 12000 is not a big number.

You may be able to serve that load easily on your existing hardware,
or you may not be able to come close. It depends on the type of load
your app generates. You should be able to estimate how much more load
another 10k users will generate based on your existing load of 2k
users and go from there.

-Dave