Compression works very well.
I added a homegrown GZip filter to the AXIS urls and also saw approx 10x compression. There are also a number of similar OSS Filters out there.

There were .NET clients accessing the web-services and they needed a tweak to handle the compression:
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/90D3B3E0-6544-4594-B3BA-E41D8F381324.dcik

The original messages could be of the order of 3MB and the client's network pipe wasn't so big: GZip was a saviour :)

Jon