Thanks for the responses. :) I'm still unable to get this working though, the same error is produced. Is it possible I am missing a dependency or two? apt-get in Debian installs a few dependencies automatically, but maybe there are some others not specified in the .deb dependency list?

Serlet Jean-Claude wrote:
Don't forget :
CATALINA_HOME : the directory where you have installed Tomcat
CATALINA_BASE : the directory where you install  your web applications
They could be the same but, that is my point of vue, it is better to have
two distinct repertories

I agree. Also these are the default directory layout and environment variables in the Debian contrib 'tomcat4' packages. I did try setting both to /usr/share/tomcat4, but still the same error was shown.

Regards,

Stuart