I've never used char types; I'm so used to using Strings I don't even think of it. Thanks!

Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

The first 127 characters of Unicode are in fact ASCII (might be the first 255, I'm not sure, but the first 127 for sure). In other words, it you do:

int i = (int)'A';

will result in i=65, the ASCII value for A. char is a numeric type remember, so you don't really have to cast to int, I just did it that way to better illustrate what was happening.

To go the other way, it's just:

int i = 65;
char c = (char)i;

That assumes i<127.

Frank

David Kerber wrote:

I know "Ascii value" isn't quite the correct term, but it's the only one I could come up with.

What Im trying to come up with is the simplest way of coming up with the numeric value associated with a given character, and to go back the other direction as well. In VB, these are the ASC() and chr() functions. I know how to get these values by going through a Byte type, but is there a quicker way to get (for example):

Starting with "B", return 66, or starting with " " (one space), return 32?
Going the other way, 66 should return "B", and 32 should return " ".

Thanks for any suggestions!
DAve