On 3/22/06, Remy Maucherat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/22/06, Rajeev Jha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In our case,the servlet is interfacing to the back-end that sends
> > async events from time to time.
>
> As you may have noticed, the HTTP protocol (and the Servlet API) are
> not designed for this kind of usage. You can try to hack your way
> through if you like, but most likely you'll run into some issues with
> servers in between and a variety of timeouts.
>
> A protocol like SIP, OTOH, is designed for this and handles it very cleanly.

I totally agree. Doing this with http is a lot of unnecessary sit-ups.
However, The existing application runs on a web server   that has
support for resuming/suspending requests and things work out well. we
need to migrate the app to some modern-day container and  trashing the
exisitng application is really not an option.

on the brigther side, hardware is not a big issue with us. if we can
run around 4k threads/box then we are okay. but i do not know if even
that is possible. most of the configurations i had used earlier were
like ~ 100 threads/box.

Thanks

Rajeev.