Sofar I see from

http://apr.apache.org/projects.html#open_source

APR support in tomcat is in
mod_jk v2 and mod_webapp (part of Tomcat)

Since both aren't needed, neither in std. tomcat nor in above mentioned setup,
what advantages of APR can the original poster have with a standalone
tomcat. I guess none.

Sofar I see APR is good for apache integration. Sofar I see apache
integration isn't good for anything :-)

regards
Leon