I originally did not have such a verbose classpath (usually I dont
have one set at all). But in a feverish attempt to have the system
find the JAR, I constructed the crazy classpath. Trimming it down to
CATALINA_HOME/bin (which is where bootstrap.jar resides), catalina.out
generates this error instead.

Mar 27, 2006 8:37:05 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap initClassLoaders
SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaProperties.<clinit>(CatalinaProperties.java:40)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.createClassLoader(Bootstrap.java:114)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.initClassLoaders(Bootstrap.java:97)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:193)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:390)

Before I sent my original message last night, I did have a look at the
Doc Classloading page, it didnt help. Additionally, in looking at the
Tomcat source I see that the
org/apache/tomcat/util/log/SystemLogHandler is in the
"connectors/uti/java" directory of the source tree. Long story short,
the JAR is there and built into Tomcat, but why its not seeing it is
beyond me.

Thanks.