Did you try the non-exe install?? Tomcat actually does not install anything
I think - it is mostly just a decompress of files and the setting of
references to environment variables like JAVA_HOME etc.. setting of
shortcuts on the start menu..... initialising the service.

So there should be a zipped version (non-exe) tomcat binary file that you
might have to download from the tomcat site. Then you would have to set the
variables like JAVA_HOME to point to your java install..
You should be able to start tomcat by running <TOMCAT_HOME>/bin/startup.exe

You would have to do all the above stuff manually - thats the only drawback
- else it is quite uncomplicated - the install is.

Hope that helps,
Anoop