ok, figured I'd reply to this post one more time because I think this
issue is directly related to the context descriptor and anyone who is
using MySQL and upgrading from tomcat 5.0.28 to 5.5.16, and likely
other versions.  You need to configure the resource factory
differently than how the docs direct for 5.0.28.  While it is clearly
documented under 5.5 docs in the JNDI section, I did not notice it in
any update/changes notes.

ok, in 5.0.28 I set up my resource factory in my context.xml a
<Resource name="jdbc/yadayada" type="javax.sql.datasource"
auth="Container" /> tag followed by a ResourceParams element with
This did not work for me in 5.5.16 and (error msg is copied below).
Instead I needed to include all my parameter names and values within
the <Resource /> tag itself - no <ResourceParams> element.  So, along
with name, type, auth, I also included driverClassName, username,
password, url, etc right in the <Resource> tag of the context.xml.

dig?

Eric