After spending sometime to set-up such things, I finally got an answer from Sybase forum. But as this list was the first I looked at, I feel it will be usefull to post the solution.

After copying the jconn2.jar file into $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib, add

<Resource name="jdbc/mybase" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
driverClassName="com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnectionPoolDataSource" maxIdle="2"
maxWait="5000"
username="bla"  url="jdbc:sybase:Tds:myadress:myport"
maxActive="4"/>

to your server.xml conf file, add the ResourceLink to your web-app context.xml file and that's it. I had some difficulties to find that driverClassName.

HTH,