It would appear that my problem was solved by simply changing the line
'new Catalina();' to 'new Embedded();', so now it unpacks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew McDowall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 13 April 2006 16:56
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Embedded Tomcat stops deploying WARs when using custom
ClassLoader

Hi,

I am currently working on a fairly complex system which provides a means
to incorporate 'pluggable' functionality using an embedded Tomcat -
essentially it allows WARs to be dropped into a specific directory, the
embedded Tomcat then unpacks and deploys the WAR.

This has been working without any problems up until a few days ago when
I started incorporating our own proprietary ClassLoader into the system.
The rationale behind the ClassLoader is that I need to provide a degree
of separation between certain sub-components of the system while still
providing common shared libraries for all components - much like the
ClassLoading solution provided by Catalina.  My own ClassLoader now
allows me to navigate a tree of child ClassLoaders in an order different
to that of the standard Java delegation model ie: in my solution I wish
to perform a depth-first search rather than simply being limited to one
branch.

The solution implemented is working (give or take a few minor flaws)
except for now the embedded Tomcat no longer deploys WARs.  At first I
believed this to be an issue with the ContextClassLoader for the Thread
in which the embedded Tomcat runs, but after investigation I am not so
sure.  It should be noted that the embedded Tomcat itself does not
produce any errors so I am at a loss to understand exactly why it has
stopped working, it's as if it is failing silently.  None of the
configuration for Tomcat has changed between the versions using the
System ClassLoader and the new version using the new custom ClassLoader.

I would be very grateful for any help with this problem, thanks in
advance.

Andy McDowall

--- Disclaimer ---

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a Director of Edina
Software, this communication is to be treated as confidential and the
information in it may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose
for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are
not the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the
sender immediately.